Search

Geometry Roller Coaster Project



I had two weeks left in Geometry this year and I couldn't bear the thought of reviewing for 2 whole weeks.  Not that my class couldn't have used the review, but ughhh!!!

So I searched for a project and I came across the paper roller coaster project.  Click the link below to read about the project and to purchase the templates if you're interested.

Paper Roller Coaster Project Website

I'd like to tell you about my experience with this project.

Since, I had never attempted this project before, I gave the students no guidelines before we began.  I showed a few pictures from the website, but other than that, I handed them paper and tape and told them to have at it.

The beginning of the project was very slow...it took them a long time to cut out the pieces for the structure and then start taping them together.

But, then this happened...






And you could start to see things taking shape!

The students kept on cutting and taping, taping and cutting and the structures were finally finished.  (I actually eventually had to give them a deadline for finishing the structure...I think some of the groups needed a limit...they might still be there!)

Next, they were ready to start cutting the pieces to make the actual roller coaster.  

There were several days necessary to get the roller coasters made.  Here are a few pictures of the process.





Finally, at the end of two weeks of working on the roller coasters every class period, we had the finished product.

All of the roller coasters were tested by running a marble through each one...they all worked!!!

Students came up with interesting features and themes for each of their roller coasters.  They did so much hard work, that I even gave everyone 5 points extra credit!

Each group also got some type of award.  Here are some examples of awards that were given:

1) Longest roller coaster ride
2) Tallest roller coaster
3) Best engineered roller coaster
4) Scariest roller coaster
5) Most Unusual Feature
6) Most Creative Roller Coaster
7) Coolest Name for a Roller Coaster
8) Best Entrance to the Roller Coaster
9) Best Two Ride Roller Coaster
10) Best Group Work

Things to remember for next time...

1) This project takes a lot of tape.  Ask students to bring in a roll each.
2) Depending on how long you want this project to take, have students cut out their pieces at home.
3) I didn't have any problem getting the students invested in this project - there was no rubric.  But, depending on your class, you might need one.
4) Students need cardboard for the base of this project.  You might ask students to bring boxes from home and then cut them up for the bases.  I order frequently from amazon, and so I started saving my amazon boxes and they worked well.  Also, I asked my cafeteria manager to save food boxes for me.

Finally, one of the tech people at my school gave some of my roller coasters a professional photo shoot!  Here are a few of the finished products.






Want to see more Teaching Math Tips?

Subscribe to get the Teaching High School Math Newsletter


We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit


No comments

Post a Comment